Program Director Welcome
Thank you for your interest in our Transitional Year Residency training program at Loyola Medicine MacNeal Hospital. I encourage you to review our website and see the unique opportunities we have for our trainees.
Our mission is to train residents who are committed to provide humanistic care and assuming progressive responsibility. We strive to create an inclusive environment at MacNeal where all are welcome and valued. MacNeal Hospital offers a rich and robust clinical learning environment with a diverse patient population.
Here at the Loyola Medicine MacNeal Hospital Transitional Year Residency training program, in addition to working with Internal Medicine, Family Medicine and Surgery Residents, you will work with several outstanding community and hospital based attending physicians in different specialties. Each afternoon, dedicated teaching sessions occur with faculty and chief residents in Intern, Resident Reports, Clinical Case Conferences, Journal Clubs, Core Lecture Series and Med Talks. We also have a Wednesday morning conference series for those on elective rotations.
We hope that you are able to visit with our residents and faculty and see for yourself if the MacNeal TY training program is a good fit for you.
Melissa Arredondo, MD
Transitional Year Residency Training Program
Loyola Medicine MacNeal Hospital
Back to top
- Offers a comprehensive one-year curriculum that emphasizes hands-on medical study and the freedom to explore elective specialties
- Views you as an important part of our team - with full acceptance among all departments and equal access to resources
- Supports your goals by providing a broad-based residency education in a modern, well-equipped, multi-site institution
- Provides a wide range of learning experiences under the supervision of board-certified physicians, senior residents, researchers and other MacNeal Hospital faculty
- Assures high-quality medical education experiences through our affiliations with Loyola University Medical Center and Northwestern University
- Prepares residents for lifelong learning through critical examination of current medical literature
- Includes a strong benefits package
Back to top
- PGY1: $57,283.20
- 4 weeks of vacation per year
- Paid education time off
- Yearly educational stipends
- Malpractice insurance
- Meals during overnight shifts
- Health, dental and vision Insurance
- Life and accident insurance
- Disability insurance
- Workers’ compensation
- 401(k) retirement plan
Back to top
During your Transitional Year Residency at MacNeal Hospital, you will see a full range of cases with:
- Five rotations in internal medicine (combination of general medicine and medical/surgical ICU blocks)
- One rotation in emergency medicine in one of the busiest EDs in the near west suburbs of Chicago
- One rotation in family medicine inpatient service
- Four elective rotations (including the opportunity for a research rotation)
- One surgery rotation
- One rotation in ambulatory medicine
Residents give a 30-minute presentation describing the background, methods and findings of the research that was conducted. Solving skills are emphasized during these interactive conferences with a focus on differential diagnoses and final diagnosis. Research electives can take place at the Loyola University Medical Center or in conjunction with the advanced program.
Residents at MacNeal Hospital can choose electives from a wide array of specialized medicine. Certain electives can be completed at Loyola or at the resident's advanced institution. This allows you tremendous flexibility to develop a curriculum ideally suited to your needs. Electives assignment is subject to availability during each academic year.
Below is a list of electives for the 2019-2020 residents:
- Medical Spanish
- Orthopedic Surgery
- Physical Medicine & Rehabilitation
- Plastic Surgery
- Radiation Oncology
- Sports Medicine
Explore Your Interests
Hands-on experience, exposure to medical specialties, expert guidance, and a focus on learning by doing are among the things students seek and residents value. At MacNeal Hospital, we welcome the opportunity to participate in our residents' education. We don't take their time or trust lightly. That's why we have developed a multi-faceted Transitional Year Residency program that emphasizes daily development of new skills, while offering residents the opportunity to explore their interests. We provide the support, the staff, the facilities and the experiences they need to move with confidence to pursue the profession of their choice.
We invite you to learn more about MacNeal Hospital and our transitional residency program. We encourage you to submit an application through the Electronic Residency Application Service (ERAS).
Back to top
- USMLE score on Step 1 of 230 or above on first attempt
- Completed medical school within the last 3 years
- Submit application through ERAS
- Deadline for ERAS Applications is October 31st
Please note, we do not sponsor visas.
If you have any questions, please call Norma Smith, Program Coordinator, at 708-783-3403.
Back to top