Welcome to the Internal Medicine Residency Program
Thank you for your interest in our Internal Medicine Residency training program at Loyola Medicine MacNeal Hospital! I encourage you to review our website and see for yourself what makes the MacNeal Internal Medicine program unique.
Our program has one vision: to train young physicians in the art and practice of Internal Medicine. We do this by developing clinical reasoning skills, expanding medical knowledge, and cultivating future leaders in healthcare quality improvement. MacNeal Hospital offers a rich and robust clinical learning environment with a diverse patient population.
In addition to daily bedside rounding by dedicated teaching faculty and small group teaching by these experienced teachers, the program offers daily Core Conferences delivered by MacNeal faculty members and professors at medical schools in the Chicago area. Each afternoon, dedicated teaching sessions occur with faculty and chief residents in Intern and Resident Reports. The program especially focuses on ABIM board preparation by providing educational materials for each resident and hosting weekly board review sessions throughout the academic year. The resident experience is enriched by the opportunity to teach internal medicine students who are part of each resident team.
Each resident has a faculty member who is his or her advisor, guiding professional goals and overall progress throughout residency with regularly scheduled consultations.
We hope that you are able to visit with our residents and faculty and see for yourself if the MacNeal IM training program is a good fit for you.
Sindhu Joseph, MD
Internal Medicine Residency Program
Learn more about the Internal Medicine Residency Program.
- Applications will be accepted only through ERAS.
- The Internal Medicine Residency Program accepts U.S. Citizens, Permanent U.S. Residents, and J1 visa applicants. The residency program does not sponsor H1 visas.
- Interviews are scheduled by invitation only, and are conducted October through December. They are held on Wednesdays, Thursdays and Fridays.
- All residency positions are filled through the match.
- U.S. clinical experience is not a requirement, but is highly encouraged.
- Applicants desiring consideration for the osteopathic track should express this interest when scheduling interviews.
Criteria for Application Review
- A minimum USMLE Step 1 score of 220 on the first attempt.
- A minimum USMLE Step 2 CK score of 230 on the first attempt.
- Pass USMLE Step 2 CS on the first attempt.
- For International Medical Graduates, preference will be given to candidates who have passed USMLE Step 3 on the first attempt.
- COMLEX Level 1 and Level 2 are also accepted.
- Graduation from medical school within the past 3 years.
- International Medical Graduates should have a valid ECFMG certificate to be interviewed (if applicable).
- Three letters of recommendation are required.
MacNeal Internal Medicine Residency
3231 South Euclid Avenue, Suite 203
Berwyn, IL 60402
Thank you for your interest in the MacNeal Internal Medicine Residency Program. We would like to inform you that our program will only be accepting applications through the Electronic Residency Application Service (ERAS).
MacNeal Hospital is an equal opportunity employer. The Internal Medicine Residency will not discriminate with regard to sex, sexual preference, race, age, religion, color, national origin, disability, or veteran status.
For 2018-19, we have 14 intern positions. All applications received prior to the deadline are reviewed. All applicants are evaluated based on preparedness, aptitude, ability, academic credentials, communication skills, and personal qualities.
We receive a significantly high number of applications. We are unable to respond to requests for information about interviews, the waitlist, or the competitiveness of the application.
We look forward to hearing from you.