Welcome to the Internal Medicine Residency Program
Thank you for your interest in our Internal Medicine Residency training program at Loyola Medicine MacNeal Hospital! I encourage you to review our website and see for yourself what makes the MacNeal Internal Medicine program unique.
Our program has one vision: to train young physicians in the art and practice of Internal Medicine. We do this by developing clinical reasoning skills, expanding medical knowledge, and cultivating future leaders in healthcare quality improvement. MacNeal Hospital offers a rich and robust clinical learning environment with a diverse patient population. Our residents and faculty have the privilege in working a community hospital and giving back to Berwyn and the surrounding communities. This is done not only in our inpatient setting and clinic but also through various community service activities sponsored by MacNeal and Loyola Medicine.
This academic year our program moved to a 4+2 curriculum to better support resident education and wellness. This curriculum ensures that following each four week inpatient rotation, residents will always have a two week outpatient experience which is enriched by an academic half day each week called MedTalks. During each 6 week cycle a specific subspecialty theme, such as Cardiovascular and Endocrinology, will be covered in the MedTalks as well as noon conferences. Our inpatient medicine rotations remain strong because of our daily bedside rounding by dedicated teaching faculty and hospitalists as well as small group teaching by these experienced teachers.
The MacNeal IM training program supports each resident, staff, and faculty member through mentorship and fostering a positive learning environment. Each resident has a faculty member who is his or her advisor, guiding professional goals and overall progress throughout residency with regularly scheduled consultations.
We hope that you are able to visit with our residents and faculty and see for yourself if the MacNeal IM training program is a good fit for you.
Lauren Sullivan, DO
Internal Medicine Residency Program
Learn more about the Internal Medicine Residency Program.
- Applications will be accepted only through ERAS.
- The Internal Medicine Residency Program accepts U.S. Citizens, Permanent U.S. Residents, and J1 visa applicants. The residency program does not sponsor H1 visas.
- Interviews are scheduled by invitation only, and are conducted October through December. They are held on Wednesdays, Thursdays and Fridays.
- All residency positions are filled through the match.
- U.S. clinical experience is not a requirement, but is highly encouraged.
Criteria for Application Review
- A minimum USMLE Step 1 score of 220 on the first attempt.
- A minimum USMLE Step 2 CK score of 230 on the first attempt.
- Pass USMLE Step 2 CS on the first attempt.
- For International Medical Graduates, preference will be given to candidates who have passed USMLE Step 3 on the first attempt.
- COMLEX Level 1 and Level 2 are also accepted.
- International Medical Graduates should have a valid ECFMG certificate to be interviewed (if applicable).
- Three letters of recommendation are required.
MacNeal Internal Medicine Residency
3231 South Euclid Avenue, Suite 203
Berwyn, IL 60402
MacNeal Hospital is an equal opportunity employer. The Internal Medicine Residency will not discriminate with regard to sex, sexual preference, race, age, religion, color, national origin, disability, or veteran status.
For 2020-21, we have 14 intern positions. All applications received prior to the deadline are reviewed. All applicants are evaluated based on preparedness, aptitude, ability, academic credentials, communication skills, and personal qualities.
We receive a significantly high number of applications. We are unable to respond to requests for information about interviews, the waitlist or status of review of applications..