At MacNeal, we understand that continuing education is essential to helping nurses be the best that they can be. Staying up-to-date with healthcare advances, treatments and procedures is vital to excellent nursing.
New Graduate Program
The New Graduate Program at MacNeal gives new nurses the opportunity to expand their knowledge base in a nurturing environment and receive support during the first year in their profession. The program focuses on the need for constant learning and best practices in nursing. The program also enables the hospital to illustrate its commitment to helping graduates succeed in their careers and retain them as long-term employees.
The yearlong program consists of monthly presentations addressing topics relevant to nursing. Nurses in the program are introduced to resources to assist in their practice.
Clinical Advancement Program
The Clinical Advancement Program is designed with professional development as one of its core components. MacNeal nurses have a strong commitment to the profession and the organization. The limitless growth potential of every employee is valued and supported. MacNeal Hospital recruits and retains professional nurses who contribute to the achievement of quality patient outcomes.
Our Education Council defines educational needs on a Division and Departmental basis and plans an annual education calendar. Recent accomplishments include:
- Holding an Annual Skills Fair for RNs and Patient Care Technicians with more than 600 caregivers in attendance. The booths are interdisciplinary and interactive.
- Hosting an all-day seminar on topics that are chosen by the direct care nurses 1-2 times a year.
- Revising the Direct-Care Nurse Educational Assessment Survey.
- Distributing the Educational Assessment Survey to direct-care nurses to determine educational needs for the coming fiscal year. Used the assessment to select the all-day seminars.
- Assisting the Recruitment, Retention and Recognition Council with Nurses' Week activities.